View Single Post
Old 09-17-13, 10:19 PM   #19
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
I'm looking for a DIY idea to rehabilitate the dead lithium batteries. It can be done with other types and I just had 2 of my Makita batteries croak on me and they were not old.
PLEASE! For you and your family's sake DO NOT even think about the idea of rehabilitate lithium rechargeable batteries. They do not behave like NiCD or NiMH and they can explode with a big bang and with lots of heat (due to high storage medium densities, way down to the ionic exchange level).

about 10 yrs ago I read a Toshiba research paper RE: lithium ion battery technologies and development (Toshiba was, and probably still is, a prominent developer in rechargeable battery technologies incl. lithium ion type). It said that lithium batteries can never be "perfectly safe" due to their inherent instability in the form of manufacturing, and may fail in a violent way unlike NiCD or NiMH. The only benefit to the use of Lithium ion battery is that their capacity (density) is magnitudes more to that of NiCD, or even NiMH, with minimal memory effect.

Even with safety sensors built in to most Li battery packs these days, I still see lithium batteries fail on a regular basis: from genuine OE battery packs for cell phones to apple Mac laptops, to DS players and many, many more. The technology is still not mature but most machinery manufacturers bow to this technology mainly due to the hype out in the market, and also the public's thirst for high power density.

play it safe: just contact the tool manufacturer and see if they have some sort of exchange program or so (no harm asking) and get fresh replacement ones instead of fooling with old ones.

Q.
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (09-18-13)