View Single Post
Old 03-17-13, 11:40 AM   #1
Drake
DIY Guy

Default Heat pump H2O water heaters??

What is the amount of warm air needed to heat a tank of water? I know this can vary on temp of air available and size of tank but is it a lot? My heating season is pretty equal to non heating so heat put into H2O comes at the expense of heated space so providing that heat as cost effectively needs to be possible for there to any real advantage during that period. With a seasonal DHW demand lower(probably less that one tank/day) could the "heat" need for HPDHWH be provided by DIY solar heated air(from collectors and or surplus passive solar from living space) into zoned insulated full basement space(shop, utility, storage - non living) or with small wood/water backup stove i plan to have for hydronic radiant floor heat? My wife does not want give up "on demand" comfort but IS willing to adopt a more conserving and energy efficient life style in our new retirement home/lifestyle so that is where I will be applying my DIY experimenting. Any "input" info for these HP H2O htrs available(sale people at local stores know very little)?

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote