View Single Post
Old 07-10-13, 09:24 AM   #12
Minimac
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
First, the only issue with PEX is that of the wall thickness and its conductivity.
It's not the only issue, but its conductivity is the issue here. I stated it's not very efficient. But, I agree that for HEATING in concrete, it works. Concrete will erode most metals rather quickly, unless it is properly encased. The question posed by the O.P. however involved it's use for cooling in the area where his ductwork will run. He also stated that the first floor concrete is already heated.
Unless he is prepared to encase the pex in something to serve as a heatsink to transfer the "coolness", I don't see it being of any meaningful value with regards to cooling. Just running Pex in a dead air space, even with additional controls, monitors, pumps and fans and what ever else you can think of, will provide little, if any practical cooling. Of course copper,aluminum, steel( all much better conductors) or any other piping won't do it either without a lot of extras.
The idea of "radiant cooling" is a good one, but I'm reminded of a picture I saw, the redneck air conditioner. A fan ducted into a cooler filled with ice, ducted into the room. How's that for bragging rights?
Minimac is offline   Reply With Quote