View Single Post
Old 07-01-13, 01:39 PM   #17
SimpleManLance
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
There's a problem right here for heat pumps... it would be difficult and expensive for a heat pump to keep all of the air in your house at this temperature.

There is a dandy FUEL COMPARISON CALCULATOR that may help you sort some of this stuff out.

But overall, it sounds like you have a pretty big house that isn't very well insulated, and likely to stay that way... and it is pretty leaky, and likely to stay that way... and you want your house to be really warm for really cheap and you are getting tired of chopping wood. Right?

Have you considered a pellet stove? They can put out massive heat and the last time I checked, the price of pellets puts them in a position of cost effectiveness that may be superior to many heat pumps.

If you want to go pellet stove, right now is the best time to find a good big used one, and to stock up on a winter supply of pellets.

(* I never thought I'd give this kind of advice, because I am very positive about heat pumps... in your case though pellets may be the best alternative. *)

-AC
I was planning on using the heat pump as my fall/early winter heater. Then as the temps dropped to low to make heat, turn on the gas furnace or start the wood furnace.

I don't mind chopping wood, but i would like to not need as much. hopefully it will be because the house is getting sealed up better. I'm not getting any younger

A pellet stove would be nice and convenient. However i hate spending money on natural gas to heat the house right now. spending it on pellets wouldnt be much different.

I ended up going with the central air unit instead of the heat pump. I will put that extra money into sealing up the house some. I'm hoping i can get to making one of these this week while im on shutdown from work. A DIY Blower Door -- Easy to Build -- Easy to Use -- Cheap