View Single Post
Old 01-26-09, 04:00 PM   #1
Binger
Helper EcoRenovator

Default TV energy consumption.

In my post about the work that my wife and I did to our apartment SVOBoy asked about my 30" CRTs power consumption.

I was looking at the new crutchfield catalog. There is a chart on 2 pages that has each size of TV they sell and comparisons off all the featuers and dinmensions of the TV's. All listed are LCD and Plasma TV's. Included in this chart is an estimated monthly power cost. They based this test on 6hrs per day of use and power cost at .10/killowatt hour.

As an example of 58" screens. 3 plasmas are listed and range from $3.38-$8.31per month.

The TV that uses $3.38 a month averages out to .10 per day! ten cents! for a 58" TV.

The smaller ones had a wider range. The LCDs in 37" ranged from $1.99-$3.54 per month.

This is interesting to read because the media and environmental groups portray LCD's and Plasmas as using so much more electricity. They make these TV's sound like they use $40-$100 more per month than a CRT, and that their energy consumption kills atleast 3 penguins and a polar bear per TV each month.

Binger is offline   Reply With Quote