View Single Post
Old 06-14-10, 11:55 PM   #9
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
If I'm interpreting the photos correctly, you are removing debris with window screen on the top of the barrels... is that correct?
Yes, the barrel directly under the gutter has a screen on it and that's it. I'm looking for a screen with smaller holes (if I can find one easily), since this one lets the sand from the shingles through. About every 2 months I drain the barrel and remove the debris from the bottom. The second barrel is capped and gets its water from the first.

The water is mostly for the garden (plus the dog prefers rain water over tap), sometimes I'll use a bucket or two to wash the car. For those reasons it doesn't need to be filtered any more. If I were to use rain water for flushing, or even the washing machine, then I'd have to look into a filtering system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
It rains so much here during the winter time, I've also thought about re-directing the rainwater into my loop field, since it is carrying heat energy with it.
That sounds like a good idea. Would you (gravity) pump it underground, or just spill it over the field?
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote