View Single Post
Old 06-13-12, 12:53 PM   #4
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default What makes more sense in the north??

Short answere: Lots of panels.

We have reduced our overall heating cost min 20% max 50% In dollars for us a minimum of $1200 savings per year. It depends on the amount of sun. Here in southwestern Ontario the seasonal sunshine can vary a lot. The first winter I had logged the amount of sunshine and it was 2 weeks/month we had ample sun. The first winter with only two panels again about 2 weeks per month. Second season 6 panels alot of sunshine. This past winter albeit warmer but very little sun. Typically we get near 100% of our domestic hot water from April to Oct. The odd two or three days we need to turn on the GSHP. or the aux. heat element.

For my installation here it has been very worth-while. Mine is a closed loop with most panels mounted vertically. The last addition of panels is mounted on an adjustable mount. We found during the middle of June summer solstice we didn't get enough hot water with the sun being so high on the vertical panels.

The space heating is via in concrete-floor heating. With 6 hrs of good sunshine we get enough heat for 24 hrs. For our back-up we have the GSHP water to water warming the floor.

Hedghog wrote:
I heat my home with a gshp with superdeheater and would like to cut the electrical consumption on my electric hot water tank.

would it be smarter to install a drain back solar hot water heater , with a storage tank to feed the hot water tank.

I would recommend go for it. 2pcs 4 x 8 panels for domestic hot water and only if you can install in-floor heat more panels to off-set the space heating.

Randen
Attached Images

randen is offline   Reply With Quote