View Single Post
Old 09-18-13, 10:01 AM   #29
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
But industry has worked with fire safety and with building codes and electrical codes to make sure that fire departments can work safely, that is why DC disconnects have to be installed and why grid tied systems have to cut power when grid power is cut.
But you get someone who doesn't know how to do their job, either from not paying attention or from lack of training and it gets bad press for everyone.
Ryland,
Sure, but the onus is on the fire departments to educate themselves.

If I go to my local power company with a request to intertie, it's my responsibility to conform to their standards to protect linemen working during an outage. Those linemen have been trained how to deal with outages and line problems so knowing intertie guidelines makes sure they have no surprises.

As far as fire goes, code dictates that the system shuts down, just like I provide my power supplier and just like my power provider it is their responsibility to know how and deal with the outage. Education is up to them just like it was up to them when the first automobile caught on fire. They can go to the auto industry or the PV industry for information, procedures, etc. but it is still their responsibility to be prepared for emerging technologies just like it was when the power grid was installed initially.

They can't claim that the PV modules prevent them from putting out a fire anymore than they can claim not putting out a fire on an EV.

As for shocks, I simply don't believe it and the people claiming them are only showing their ignorance of basic electricity regardless whether that electricity is from the grid or a PV array.

Rob

One more note, my system guidelines dictate that I have clearly labeled power disconnects in clear view. I had to submit a drawing to my power company as to the location of that box which must also be mounted on the outside of the house. The power company has the ability to lock it if they deem necessary.

Last edited by Robaroni; 09-18-13 at 10:07 AM..
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote