View Single Post
Old 11-08-13, 07:52 AM   #19
peacmar
Lurking Renovator

The funny thing is that I joined this thread for curiosity sake, but am now seriously considering such a contraption. Part of my foundation is over 100 years old and has a small stream that runs through my basement every spring so moisture is a large issue. Granted, I plan to replace the field stones one day but not any time soon. I also have an abundance of hot water at my disposal. I run an outdoor gasification burner year round to supply my family's hot water needs. We receive large amount of kiln dried scrap wood from local industry so I have an endless supply therefore it was an economical choice for us. That being said, I think I can utilise this heat source to regenerate the dessicant. Even if I have to manually switch out the media every so often it would be worth not running a 2500 watt dehumidifier 3-4 months a year. Last night while pondering this, I envisioned a resemblance to a swamp cooler also. Forced air to speed things up, a water overflow draining into the basement sump. I'm thinking about either interchangeable or refillable cartridges for ease. And material choice will be important also, especially if I use salt.

Now you guys have gone and done it..... yet one more project i have that was conceived on this wonderful website....

peacmar is offline   Reply With Quote