View Single Post
Old 10-08-09, 07:51 AM   #30
Daox
Administrator

Higgy was bothering me the other day for more pics, so here they are.

Here is the caulked up windows. As I mentioned, this helped enormously so far. Very noticeable difference.

To make the attic hatch cover, I didn't want to have to go buy materials, so I gathered up the scraps of insulation I had laying around.

I decided to start out with the largest piece I had which was normal 2" polystyrene foam and trimmed it to length. It wasn't quite wide enough to cover completely though.

So, I gathered up the pieces of 1" thick polyiso I had, cut them to length, and glued them to the polystyrene. I put the shiny side down to act as a radiant barrier. I also went back and caulked all the gaps between the polyiso sheets to minimize air leakage.

Next, I fitted it to the hatch area. It fit pretty good with a little trimming here and there. But, it really needs to have a handle attached to the bottom so I can pull it down tightly.

I'm also going to put some expanding foam around the edges of the pink foam, put some newspaper over it, and then put the cover on it to create a better seal. There are still some fairly large gaps since the pink foam isn't all exactly the same height. As you can see, I still have to fill in the gaps around the pink foam too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote