View Single Post
Old 08-13-15, 07:47 PM   #17
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvCharlie View Post
...add one of the hdmi switches and an hdmi>VGA+audio converter, and listen. ...plan on really big speakers. It takes a lot of energy to reproduce bass...
Thanks rvC,

I do have 2 old re-coned original Advents for speakers... actually, I have 4 of them, a matched set. My house is quite small and my main listening room is quite, quite small, so to my ear, the near-field bass is pretty good.

A problem that has arisen that was unexpected, was that while my A/V surround amp was in the shop, and I had to do with a 15 watt stereo that was maybe 25 years old (before surround was popular). The 15 watt amp provided more than enough power, but apparently, the surround encoding expects a center channel decoder. So, when I was playing back movies the speech portion of the sound track was drowning in the other sounds.

In my opinion, the move from mono to stereo was a very large improvement (I was there when this happened). But the move from stereo to surround was not the quantum leap that stereo was. (I was there when this happened, too).

So, I don't need surround sound to enjoy music. But it's beginning to look like I will need some modest decoding, if for nothing else to hear speech in movies.

Best,

-AC