View Single Post
Old 07-21-15, 08:30 AM   #5
doug30293
Too Many Projects

At about 40 pounds per panel I could probably add a fifth panel with less weight gain than the tilt structure. There will be some structure in either case as I do not want to attach the panels directly to the EPDM-skinned roof.

I will be constrained to lot orientation when staying in a park. But they provide the electricity as part of the package so I wouldn't need the PV's during those stays. Dry camping on Federal land offers more flexibility but I would still prefer to park without having to worry about PV orientation. I guess that makes a flat array the best choice.

One more option is to mount the array as an adjustable awning over the port side bump-out. This bump-out is 13 feet long and has considerable solar heat gain. The weight and cost of the array would be partially mitigated by not having to install a dedicated awning. Complexity and potential for damage are the main concerns with this approach.

How durable are the backs of the panels? For the awning scenario I am thinking of having the glass side against the side of the trailer when stored for travel.

Doug
doug30293 is offline   Reply With Quote