View Single Post
Old 01-10-12, 03:02 PM   #1
jbaile38
Lurking Renovator

Question Automatic Whole House Fan???

Hello Everyone. I've been lurking for a year or two, but this is my first post. If I've posted this in the wrong section, please let me know and/or move the thread.

I have a project that I'd like to run by the EcoRenovator community to see if anyone can point me towards some resources. Please bear with me as I explain.

I live in Denver, CO, and have a down draft evaporative cooler installed. When cooling is necessary, I don't like to turn on the pump, but rather turn the fan on at night to cool the house, and turn it off during the day when it is hot outside. This works very well to keep the house comfortable, and avoids the muggy air created when the pump is on.

There are, however, a few problems with the situation as it stands:

1) The cooler isn't well filtered, so the fan forces a lot of dirt into my house, which reduces air quality and requires extra cleaning of the walls and ceiling near the vent.

2) The fan isn't controlled by a thermostat. If the air outside is warmer than the air inside, then I'm heating rather than cooling. This means that I have to be home, awake and attentive to switch the fan on at night and off in the morning at the right times.

3) The venting isn't baffled, requiring that I insulate it and air seal it in preparation for winter. I also gain a lot of heat through the vent when the fan isn't running during hot days.

4) My house has a flat roof, and I've put a lot of effort into rehabbing it, form the outside in. The swamp cooler really ruins the roofline and since I don't use it as it was designed, I see no reason it should stay. Sure I'm concerned with aesthetics, but at least I listed it #4. Right?

SO... my solution, if it's possible:

Remove the swamp cooler. Install a HEPA filtered whole house fan with an automatic insulated baffle. Use the same 14" square ductwork currently employed by the cooler. Then either source, or program/build myself, a thermostat that acts to automate the fan and baffle system, using multiple thermometers.

The thermostat would open the baffle and activate the fan if the outside temp were lower than the inside temp, and if the inside temp was above a programmable temp floor. The fan would shut off and the baffle would close once the air outside became warmer than the air inside, or the temperature floor was reached.

I have a list of questions that I'd love some input on.

1) Where could I source a filtered, baffled, whole house fan for 14" square ductwork? Or, are the filter, fan and insulated baffle separate purchases?

2) I am planing on using an Arduino and two thermometers to build/program the thermostat, unless anyone here has a better idea.

3) Are there any online resources that you think might be helpful? I'm having trouble finding anything.

4) Would you call this a pipe dream? It seems reasonable to me, but I'm no HVAC expert.

For those of you who made it this far, thank you for your time.

Also, thanks in advance for any help.

Justin

jbaile38 is offline   Reply With Quote