View Single Post
Old 04-28-10, 12:23 PM   #20
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Last night I went out and took measurements for my next wall section. To do that, I fit the 2x8 sill boards and then measure for the 2x6 bottom plates. By "fit" them, I put the adjacent sill board in place and measure for the bolt holes in the board I want to install next. Mark it and take it back into the garage and drill it for the bolts to go through and take it back outside and make sure it fits. It fit tightly, which is a good thing since most pressure treated lumber tends to shrink some. Then I made reference marks on the board to help align the wall sections come assembly time. All this went well and did not take but about 45 minutes.

Then I tried to find two 2x6x12' boards for the next wall section. Out of my stack of a dozen, I found one acceptable board. Too late to go to the lumberyard last night, so I fitted and drilled oversized holes to align with the bolts sticking through the sill boards in the one I did have that was acceptable. I also gathered up a window header and brought it to my work area (I've prefabbed all the headers already). For want of lumber, I called it a night. I'll be going by the lumberyard tonight for more material. Saturday morning, I'll take back about 35 of the 8' boards, 11 of the 12' boards and whatever else I find defective before then.

I'll check Saturday and see if my windows have arrived. I am also planning to go with a different supplier for my trusses. There design was essentially the same as the ones from this lumberyard and the price was very close. I am afraid that if the quality of the lumberyard wood they sent me out the door with is this poor, the trusses may be made from the same poor quality material. The other truss quote I got was from the same people who built the trusses that we installed on the home I live in. I know those were good quality.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote