View Single Post
Old 04-26-10, 08:03 AM   #18
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Friday evening I managed to assemble the second wall section. The bad part is, by the time I finished, a hard rain had started so I couldn't take it out and put it on the rack. I don't have room in my garage to build more than one section at a time, so I quit for the night. The bad weather really started in earnest on Saturday, so I started cutting the 8 foot 2x6's down to 91 5/8" and drilling the 3/4" holes for pulling wires. I cut and drilled all the rest of the wood that was fit to use. Out of 100 pieces, I will be taking back about 35. What a lousy percentage! The down sides are transporting and loading/unloading and stacking. Add the lost work time and it doesn't get better.

Weather radio warned of tornados and golf ball sized hail mid-afternoon, so our attention shifted to securing our property and I didn't go any farther on the construction Saturday. On Sunday, the weather was gorgeous, so after church I loaded the Friday wall on the hand trucks and dragged it out, pulled back the tarp, checked my wall rack, transferred the wall section to the rack and swept the puddles of water off the slab. Then I built another wall section and took it out and stacked it on the rack.

Please note that I mark all of the wall section locations on the 2x8 cap(?) plate so I can go back to them as a reference. This worked out very well on my Sunday wall section. I measured and cut the top and bottom plates for the wall and started marking stud locations. When I got it marked, I set it on the cap plate and found that I had mis-measured. All I had to do was trim 2" off the plates and remark where one stud goes, but it would have been a disaster on the day I got people to help stand the walls up if I didn't have the ability to double check.

That was about all I had time for yesterday. I'm attaching a few pictures. The first is my Friday wall section laying on 2x6's in the garage (makes it easier to build with room to maneuver the nailer close to the floor, plus a place to get your hands in when it comes time to pick it up ) The second is a closer shot that may allow you to see where I have drilled a 3/4" hole about 14" up from the bottom of the stud and the bottom plate got a 1 1/4" hole to go over the attaching bolt on the sill plate. I circled them in the new bigger picture. Bear in mind that this will be sitting atop a 24" wall of concrete blocks, plus the 2x8 sill plate and the 2x6 bottom plate, so my wiring runs are really about 41" off the floor. All the outlets in the garage are going to be where I don't have to worry about a work bench blocking them. Finally, the third picture is my rack right after I put the Friday wall section on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by gasstingy; 05-06-10 at 01:00 PM..
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote