View Single Post
Old 12-17-14, 12:46 AM   #6
8307c4

You say you added insulation...

My attic (above the ceiling) is at R-50...
My basement's (under the floor) R-30...
Current Eco-Green Standards are available:
https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...sulation_table

Light bulbs means LED's all the way, enough said.
My electric bill consistently falls below 1,000 kwh but it's a small 1,200 sq.ft one-story rancher.
I'm used to paying... I think the cheapest this year was $56, and the highest was $120.

Replacing my refrigerator cost me $600'ish and made a HUGE difference.
This mostly depends how old your unit is, turns out mine was either a late 70's or late 80's model, we're talking $10 - $15 a month difference but even if your refrigerator is only 10-20 years old I may suggest checking the daily or annual use against a newer unit.
As a rule I would replace it IF the savings would pay for the unit within 5-6 years or less and under no circumstances would I replace it if it would not pay for itself within 7-8 years.

I have found lately, dressing appropriately in winter (as in, wearing long john's inside the house) helps me keep my thermostat down... Mine stays at 59 nowadays although I keep a small space heater in whichever room I may be in... Because it's cheaper to heat one room than the whole house.

I also like to turn the heat completely off while I'm gone but you REALLY have to watch it coming back make SURE you have a way to keep the EM heat from kicking on as it has a nasty tendency to do that and it will drive your electric bill sky high in no time.

The other problem I did find, is lower winter temperatures means less heat tolerance in summer... Where I used to keep my summer thermostat set to 78-80 I now find myself turning it down to 76 however I found using a window unit A/C in the bedroom I can keep it cool while leaving the rest of the house warmer.
Turns out the human body gets used to being either cold or warm, whichever one...
When the seasons turn the body doesn't catch up right away and there's a limit in terms of temperature extremes that we comfortably tolerate as well.

The trick thus became, to warm / cool the room I happen to be in.

Oh...
I hang my clothes up to dry, I have it but I don't use the electric clothes dryer.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by 8307c4; 12-17-14 at 12:53 AM..