View Single Post
Old 08-26-14, 09:29 AM   #18
dablack
Helper EcoRenovator

Exeric,

One of us isn't understanding. Right now I'm not sure who. Maybe I don't understand what you are building. From what I saw of the thread, it looks like you are capturing and using heated air from the attic. This heated air is heated because it is from above your radiant barrier and below your roof deck. Correct? In the summer you will vent it. In the winter you will use it. Right?

I will have a sealled attic. No venting. No heat to capture. My foam and radiant barrier (if I use one) will be external to the roof deck. I'm using attic trusses that give me a 8' wide room in the attic. I have a gable roof with no dormers and my house is 52' long so that gives me a 8' wide room, 52' long. In that room you will see the roof deck and rafters. That is it. Everything else will be external. I don't want any heat to get into my attic. Since there will be very little heat there, there is nothing for me to capture. \

My layers from the bottom up will be attic truss, OSB roof deck, grace triflex underlayment, three or four layers of 3/4" dow foam board (taped seams offset between layers), maybe radiant barrier, verticle 1x4 boards set at 24" OC, horizontal 1x4s set at 24" OC, and then a metal roof. The area between the radiant barrier and roof will be vented at the peak. That is a metal roof vent and not an attic vent.

thanks
Austin
dablack is offline   Reply With Quote