View Single Post
Old 07-19-14, 12:42 PM   #7
wuck
Helper EcoRenovator

Data sheet helps, thanks.

Charge controller is a good investment, I wasn't questioning that. Just wondering why the load needed to be controlled by it. So, from the data sheet, I see the controller will cut off load power if battery is depleted (10.5 to 11.0 volts). Good plan.

This spec gives me pause:
The total rated current of solar panel and loads must be smaller than the rated current of the controller.

Something to check, I see from your previous post that your panel might be 0.5 amp, might want to check that again. The controller seems to have an auto reset cut-off for over current protection.

The Apollo fuse might be a slow-blow type to allow the start transient, or they could have a "Soft-Start" on the motor which would take care of the transient.

Another thing I notice with these generic controllers on ebay is many are intended for lighting applications, the load is cut off when daylight is sensed.

You might want to run the opener directly off the battery and connect a green LED to the load output to help indicate battery charge state. Maybe keep an eye on the battery voltage for a week or so.

Here's the best feature I found in the specs:
Thunder protection

Yea! It's protected from really loud noises! Maybe even those super-loud cows!!

Pat
wuck is offline   Reply With Quote