View Single Post
Old 04-19-10, 07:58 AM   #8
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Worked on cutting studs to length and drilling them out for running the wiring. Then tried to clear out room in the garage to build the first wall. Decided to put all of the completed headers on my front porch (I need the room to assemble the walls on the floor.) Tried to move the garage door header by myself. Not my best idea. I got my hand trucks and was barely able to stand the header up after sliding it out the door. While trying to put it on the hand trucks, I dropped it. Apparently I didn't have enough nails in it, because it bent a lot of nails and one of the 2x10's shifted by about a half inch. So, I spent a while prying that board off and iin the process put several stess cracks in the board. Since the header was now 1/3 lighter, I moved it to the porch. Then I cut a replacement 2x10 and took my compressor and framing nailer onto the porch and installed it. I'll go back this evening and put more nails in so I may not have this problem again.

Laid out the wall framing and realized that the way I planned didn't make sense, so I made some adjustments in the plan (Carpenter brother-in-law made some helpful suggestions). I'll go back to it this evening and try to make some more headway. It appears that I'm going even slower than I planned, but it's not like I'm paying for any labor:-)
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote