View Single Post
Old 04-25-13, 08:57 AM   #17
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGo View Post
It is really quite amazing how much electricity a home can waste doing nothing. Between devices on for remote control sensing, to powering built-in electronics, it is pretty easy to waste 50 - 200 watts 24/7. Every always on watt works out to be about 0.73 kwh a month.
I like to think long term, at what point are you going to get lazy and stop turning off the power strip or unplugging the device or get tired of not having a working door bell.

So I wonder about matching your house's standby demand with grid tied PV and a micro inverter, even if you have an electric meter that can't run backwards a very small PV system that was designed to stall your electric meter would work great! you can get PV panels with an AC output from a built in micro inverter so the panel gets hard wired right in to your house, in theory you could even put a standard cord plug on it and plug it in to an outlet and have it back feed... not recommended at all but it really is that simple!

Personally I try not to buy stuff that has standby electrical use but I'm sure I still have 20 watts or more from GFI outlets, wireless internet router and motion sensor light switches.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote