View Single Post
Old 04-12-09, 06:09 PM   #8
roflwaffle
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
Congratulation, you don't qualify as an average Joe He uses a "full graphical interface (kde, gnome...)" and you aren't.
Gnome is only about 20-30mb above something like "light" like Xfce, so we ain't talking about a huge deficit there. I could kill one of the xterms I tend to leave open to free up enough memory for a "full graphical interface".
Quote:
But about all the following points I do qualify :
  • I have 143 tabs in firefox which is using 476MB (339 of real memory). Happily I have noscript and flashblock and most sites have javascript and flash deactivated : this is the only way I found to get back the power over firefox...
  • I have 7 pdf opened and acroread is eating 140MB (67 real).
  • I have only 2 ods (Open Spread Sheet) opened and OpenOffice is eating 252MB (118 real).
  • As my graphical card is using main memory, the X server is eating 399MB (134 real).
  • The strangest thing for most of you is that I'm currently using 35 xterm (text terminals, mostly connected to half a dozen remote systems) eating a total of 208MB (65 real).
143 firefox tabs!?!??!?
Quote:
I thought about buying a small "Internet PC" (such as the Asus EEEPC) because the main programs I use are firefox, xterm, ssh, OpenOffice and acroread and they are consuming a very small quantity of electricity. Because of the way I use them, firefox noticeably, the processor will certainly be underpowered and I would kill the Solid State Hard Drive with a swap file, so I would have to buy one with a "Spinning" Hard Drive which is mostly the cost of a oddment notebook with bigger disk and RAM.

Denis.
If you trimmed down your firefox sessions you could probably pull off a flash drive with a couple gigs of ram.
roflwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote