View Single Post
Old 04-16-12, 11:51 PM   #15
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Earth berming was a popular...Two of the three have constant ongoing drainage problem and all three have humidity and possible mold issues...People left the sod house concept behind for a reason.
You have pointed out the potential problems with berming, but the problems can be overcome. I have a friend who lives in a bermed passive solar house, which is tucked into the side of a hill here in rainy Oregon. Proper drainage and damp-proofing was designed into the structure from the beginning. The house is dry and cozy and requires very little additional heat in the winter, and no A/C in the winter. So don't be too quick to toss the baby out with the bathwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Of the many "green" energy concepts that I have followed since the 70's I'm looking at the one that are still working out. Like passive solar(thermal mass), hydronic heat, super insulation, space conservation, indoor pollution control, EF appliances/lighting, PV generation, SDHW(location dependent), DIY knowledge/skills. Seen many great ideas flash, consuming peoples valuable money with no return possibly even threatening their very health(molds, raydon, contaminated water.
There sure was a lot of activity in the 70's regarding energy efficiency, and a lot of good books written on the subject. I always keep an eye out when I'm in a used book store for 70's alternative energy books... I have amassed a fairly substantial vintage DIY alt-energy library.

But Drake, you are right, some of the ideas stood the test of time much better...

My Dad used to say it's much easier to have 20-20 vision when you're seeing things in the rear view mirror.

-AC