View Single Post
Old 01-15-13, 12:35 PM   #6
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sanford View Post
What are you guys all using to measure temps and how do you actually connect the sensors to various points to get accurate readings?...
I have used the dual probe cheapo thermometers and except for the fact that they all had a different reading for the same temperature, they were pretty reliable as far as change in temperature goes.

So you might want to strap all of your sensors to the same tube, close together, and look at the readings for all of them and label each of them uniquely. Then decide what the average is, you could actually calculate it or you could look at the high and the low and figure that average is half way in between. Then note how far each sensor is from the 'average' and change the sign of that number. For instance if sensor 'B' is 1.4 over, assign -1.4 compensation to that sensor, and when you read the temp from that sensor, add the compensation factor.

The next part is the attachment part that you originally asked about. I used the sticky-backed foam tape and made sure it was under tension when I wrapped it around the sensor & tube.

That should do it.

BTW, I don't know if you are geekishly inclined, but a 1-wire sensor coupled to an Arduino reads quite accurately, and is fairly linear.

Best,

-AC