View Single Post
Old 01-15-13, 09:11 AM   #5
Bill Sanford
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
You could also use a little bit of thermal compount as used for thermal contact between a CPU and the heatsink in computers, if you happen to have that lying around. The simplest white goop would be good enough.
Alternatively you could use a drop of vegetable oil, it is not as good in transfering heat but this too will close the airgap.

Then use a little tape to clamp the sensor to the tubing so the sensor doesn't move. Covering it with a piece of tubing insulation foam is a good idea.
I actually tried thermal heat sink compound. The white pasty stuff. I still had readings that seemed to vary.

I wonder if the leads coming off my thermocouples are the issue. The actual thermocouple is a tiny dot with two very fine wires coming from it. Just the thermocouple and a bit of the leads are exposed and the rest of the end of the cable is covered by a piece of heat shrink tubing.

I wonder if the two fine wires aren't insulated well and I'm having issues because of it. I'll try a few things and see what I can figure out.

Bill
Bill Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote