View Single Post
Old 03-21-14, 06:13 PM   #6
buffalobillpatrick
Master EcoRenovator

jfweaver:
yes, I will need to space the pex HX's below pariffin bottom level.

Your tank within a tank would have a nice seperation benifit, but

A very big deal on solar hot water Eff. is to stratify the storage tank, pump the cool water from bottom of tank to solar panels, hot water back goes into top of tank.

To melt paraffin toward bottom would require a water circulation pump to get hot water down there.

Teller County Colorado
Zone 5/B dry
Design temp 2* F
AFI = 2500
Mean Annual Temp. 40* F
HDD 6415
Lat = 38.8*
Altitude 8,800'

Very good Solar, lots of UV, I can get a sunburn in 30 min.

On fire safety:

The 1,000 gal solar storage tank will be burried outside the basement.
It's temp. will vary quite a bit, possibly from 180* when there has been good sun & weather down to 35*
Insulated VERY well!!!

It will have a 300' loop of 1" pex in the top that will preheat the well water coming into a 120 gal. thermal accumulator tank on any DHW draw. well water is just over 40*

There is also a 2nd HX loop in the top of the solar tank of O2 barrier 3/4" pex that will provide heat directly to the radiant floor system, via a Taco ODR controlled TMV which provides appropriate temp. water to a Grundfos Alpha ECM pump to whatever zone of the hydronic floor that needs heat. I will use this source of heat whenever the solar tank is above 80*

When the 1,000 gal solar tank is below 80* and above 35* AND the aqustat on the 120 gal thermal accumulator tank is calling for heat, instead of firing the boiler, a new WtW heat pump will heat the 120 gal thermal accumulator tank.

EDIT: link to thermal accumulator info:
http://www.pmmag.com/articles/91937-...l-accumulators

Solar tank

It is about 1/4" thick in field & 1/2" at bottom, HD fiberglass made for High Temps. It's a cylinder 10' x 4.5' made for Cray Computers as part of their water cooled super-computers 20-30 yrs. ago.

It would hold 1200 gal. but I don't want the water level up to a side port close to top thats about 8" in diameter which I will use for all pipes & sensors from tank to basement.

CL score

BBP

Last edited by buffalobillpatrick; 03-21-14 at 08:44 PM..
buffalobillpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote