View Single Post
Old 04-27-11, 12:49 PM   #25
S-F
You Ain't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Rearding foam vs cellulose, I started my house insulation with foam because at the time the other choice was fiberglass and I wanted much higher R-value per inch. Even though foam was more expensive, it seemed like a good choice. Now that I have done most of my house, and the results are encouraging, were I to do it again, I would go with cellulose... maybe with a foam skin against the outside wall to stop the leaks, then dense pack in the remaining space (I increased the space to 6 inches).

I really like what I have read from eco-savvy Europeans... they seem to have a more thoroughly-internalized understanding of embodied energy, and carbon sequestration. Here in USA, 50% don't believe in evolution (for them personally, it apparently didn't happen) and about the same number doubt that global warming is occurring, or that it is a concern. That's pretty dismal... something crucial has failed in our society.

So, I think it is easier for Europeans to encompass the many aspects of eco-decisions, such as what to use for insulation, and to see that R-value alone is not enough to make a decision... there is also embodied energy and sequestration of carbon. I really think that when all the factors are weighed, better choices can be made.

-AC_Hacker
An interesting point: I was recently talking to some German passivehaus folks and they were saying that foam is better because there is a potential for the cellulose to have a negative impact on the indoor air quality with airborne particulate matter in a negative pressure situation. Negative pressure is a little more feasible in a house with electric range and direct vent DHW and heat. Seems nuts to me as the foam at best can't be doing anything to help the air quality (which cellulose can by way of moisture mitigation) and very probably is off gassing some things I don't want to breathe. I'd rather wrap news papers around my head than spray foam all over it.
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote