View Single Post
Old 05-12-13, 01:01 PM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
AC
A while back I posted that I was interested in adding a water heat exchanger to my unit as I have a creek 100' away that never freezes. I had considered running tubing beneath the creek bed which is all sand and circulating glycol to increase the efficiency even more. I have been kicking this idea around now for about 6 months. Not sure that the cost of the equipment, heat exchanger, pump and controls and additional power to run pump would be offset with power savings. The heat exchanger for my size would be around 300.00 and the pump about 100.00 plus tubing, digging and other work.

In any case this is what I want to do. Not sure how I will mount and place the heat exchanger and pump without it looking ugly and cobbled.
It would be very helpful if you gave us some more info on the building you want to heat, like how much heat is it going to need?

How did you determine the HX you require? How did you determine the pump you need?

The more information & photos you can share, the better the quality of the advice that will come your way.

Also, keep in mind that the more you are able to take measures to prevent heat loss, like sealing the house really well, and insulating beyond what is 'reasonable', the less you'll need to invest in the components to build your water source heat pump... and the less you'll need to spend every month to run it.

Best,

-AC