View Single Post
Old 02-20-15, 02:32 PM   #496
Drake
DIY Guy

Yes, the acronyms are poorly for hydronic heating. AC, what you are stating is exactly what I have found info on and is why I am still asking questions to try to get agreeing opinions on what may be being done on the direction of hydronic heating that will fit my build. Your info on flow rate and pex size is something I have not found and I thank you for sharing it. It is a good example though of some of the conflicting choices to be made though. The innovating direction seems to be smaller pex, closer spaced. But this does not match well with flow/rate/effec as you detail, and as you state the largest pex one can physically layout to a closer spacing should be better. Hence my choice to use 5/8 pex at 1/2 spacing(besides being all but free for me) it should be even better. How does this info on increased flow rate affected pump choice now? Will a set speed pump be better for a constant on/off increased flow rate than a variable spd pump which might not be able to do it?

I can't thank anyone who has given me input anymore than I have without sending them cards or shaking hands.

AC, to your bullet points 1)my new structure is first and for most maximized for solar gain(which I have been enjoying the benefits of in the existing half of our cabin for many years). 2)The detail with which I am preventing air infil is fanatical(which I will document as my aboveground construction season begins this spring), every rough framing joint will be glued or caulked and my vapor barrier will be broken only by doors and windows. Even basement will be isolated from heated living space. With zero ventilation for combustion.
3)Research is still ongoing for me on HRV's, even beyond DIY ones. I will first incorporate all means I can find to minimize the amount of fresh air needed than provide what I can with passive and low tech means(already posted photos of tubing install for below ground air tempering). 4)The super insulation level I will be building to will be to what I consider cost effective and what can be accomplished without having a space that is more exterior wall than living space. 5) I live in MN,lol. You can have all the heat you need 364 days a years and the wrong one you don't you're dead. It may be wishful thinking but I don't plan to need much heat most of the time but when I need it I'll need it.

I have no doubt that I could layout my radiant any number of ways and be able to supple the heat I need and thought more goal is not an absolute zero net structure I would want it to as low as I can get for what I think is a reasonable expense. The more DIY I can do the more I can afford to attempt.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote