Thread: Ben's Garage
View Single Post
Old 12-27-16, 06:04 AM   #70
stevehull
Steve Hull

Ben - just a thought here . . .

Assuming you can get permission for the array size of 8 panels wide by 3 rows. I might suggest EPDM roll roofing on this south aspect of the garage. It is cheaper than 3-tab, lasts longer, faster to put up and it won't be seen (covered by panels). Or are you doing metal? - can't recall.

In general, living spaces require a set back of the panels from the roof edge. Since this is a garage (not living space) and is a small area, I bet you can get permission to install the panels 8 wide (almost to the roof edge). Firefighters like "open" roof space to be able to vent roofs, letting out smoke allowing more time for people in lower living space to get fresh air. I understand the "walkway" around the panel edge is a secondary issue.

But the real reason is savings on the roof mounting brackets. There are a variety of names for the metal panel that slides under a 3-tab shingle and has an attachment for a L bracket (for rail attachment). About $12 -14 each.

These are a pain to put in and have only one long attachment screw that really needs to be into a truss.

The alternative is the S5! Versagard - about $4 each. Can be screwed into plywood (as you have put up), has six small screw holes (distribute stress) and is a lot cheaper and FAR faster to put up. And you don't need to find a truss underneath.

Assume a 26 foot rail length. You can cantilever the rails 2 feet on each end, but let's just go with one foot to a roof bracket. Then install another 5 brackets evenly between those two outside edge brackets. I think (note the time I am writing this), that the bracket spacing will be about 4 feet.

The EPDM roll roofing is quick to install, your roof has plenty of pitch (no seam leaks with minimal overlap) it will last a long time as it is shaded.

Not often that there is a choice on roofing materials, but this one seems like a no brainer as you are putting up solar.

If you are not looking at the north side of the garage roof - why not use roll roofing there too?

Very nice construction to date, well done and it looks like it has been fun AND an accomplishment.

Bravo!

Steve