View Single Post
Old 02-23-12, 04:24 PM   #4
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I agree with everything already said. I don't know the conditions of Applegate, (Cali, Michigan, or Oregon?), specifically humidity and temperature. You need to have some fairly lucky outdoor conditions(in comparison to where I live) to get a swamp cooler to work effectively. If humidity is too high, all you are doing is adding humidity to the house which makes it warmer.

Once you've got a well air sealed and at least fairly well insulated house and can block a decent amount of sunlight the system(house and cooling) will work much better to keep things comfortable.

Since a swamp cooler needs ventilation to work properly. I've always wondered if the swamp cooler was on the opposite side of the house of a bathroom, if it would be adequate to use one of the super efficient low-sone bathroom high-volume exhaust fans that are designed for full-time use. Where I live, if someone isn't going for a recovery ventilator this works out when the dew point of the outside of lower than the inside except in my case I'd operate it only in the winter and in the swing seasons when the dew point is low. In your case you need to exhaust the excess humidity and the swamp cooler will add a little back along with the cooler air it is making.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote