View Single Post
Old 07-14-14, 07:43 PM   #114
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
The real question is why when there are cheaper processors that are far more capable?
I think the part you apparently don't understand is that we are not only designing a device to control a heat pump, we are also designing a device that uses the most popular and widely available hardware and IDE. That would be the Arduino IDE by a long shot. In other words, we are designing to the enormous pool of Arduino users.

In 2013, 700,000 official Arduino boards were in users' hands... That count doesn't even include the uncountable number of clone boards that are being used.

EDIT: Here are some numbers I just now ran...
Code:
		Google		YouTube
Arduino		41600000	1050000
PIC		2090000		47300
RTOS		4710000		8520
MPLAB X		552000		6790
FreeRTOS	526000		4280

When you look at it as a graph:

The blue bars are Google hits, a sign of curiosity, if not real interest.

The red bars are YouTube hits, which are user-created, are a more accurate indicator of users being actively involved.

I think you, being well educated and technically sophisticated, are only looking at optimum hardware and software solutions and not at the huge established Arduino user population that is internationally established, and may not have access to hardware or any experience at all with any of the hardware and software combinations that you insist on suggesting.

If you are interested in this particular effort, please lend a hand. If you are not interested in helping with this particular effort, you do have a thread, Designing an Advanced Heat Pump Controller where you can prove your point by creating a superior design.

In other words, put your talent where your talk is.

-AC
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 07-15-14 at 11:12 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote