View Single Post
Old 02-08-12, 03:41 PM   #12
abogart
Efficiency Afficionado

Here is version 1.1. It looks nice, but unfortunately I don't think it measures accurately.

I was trying to make a well-type inclined manometer. But since it seemed like it might be a bit difficult to find something to act as a well and connect the tubing to it, I just used a loop below the incline, thinking that would work fine to keep the fluid level in check. I believe the problem is that the fluid in the inclined column has to move more than the fluid in the upright column. The fluid levels balance out at a point where neither is where it should be.

When applying 1" WC to the gauge, the fluid in the inclined column should move 5" across the scale, but only raises 1/2" in height. The upright column, however, should only move down 1/2" in height. Obviously the water can't expand, so they balance at a mid-point.

I think there is some math here which is a bit beyond my understanding. It seems that the well would have to be made a certain size so that the height drops at the same rate that the height in the inclined column rises. I guess I'll do some more research and try again.
abogart is offline   Reply With Quote