View Single Post
Old 03-22-10, 10:12 AM   #10
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Default Decided on a solar tank.

Yesterday, some of the guys came over to help on my Diesel S10 conversion project. While they were here, I also showed them what I was doing in my solar experiments, what I had to work with, and what the limitations are.

Everyone really seemed to like the steel pressure tank, in that it is in good condition, will fit in my utility room, and sure was hard to beat the price.

I really like the “box of water” concept of a double-walled heat exchanger. It is cheap, safe, and effective. It also relies on simple water pressure for the domestic side, eliminating a pump.

If I run the glycol loop on a small PV panel and 12VDC pump, I won’t need any other controls or electronics – a simple, reliable setup.

So what’s next? I think it’s time I build an ACTUAL Heat Exchanger Storage Tank. I plan to cut the top off the steel tank, wind two coils of copper pipe, install both into the tank (one lower, one higher) put the lid back on, insulate it, and fill it with water.

I also need to figure out EXACTLY where I am going to tap into the existing cold water line in my utility room, and where and how many shut-off valves and tees I will need. I don’t see that as particularly complicated, but I don’t have that much plumbing experience, and it is tight quarters. I also still need a pump!

Over at the EV club, we have a plasma cutter. The next meet isn’t for two weeks though. Maybe at that time I will have some video of cutting the tank.

-Ben

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote