View Single Post
Old 05-16-12, 06:52 PM   #12
S-F
You Ain't Me

Yes you can certainly put box fans in the windows but as you mention they aren't very air tight.

Also, people who are doing this at home should keep in mind that depressurizing a house with any asbestos is a no no and this includes vermiculite. You can pressurize it though. We did that today in a huge house with a small amount (about 4' visible) of asbestos pipe insulation. Last fall I was actually involved in a law suit against an energy auditing company that didn't notice some asbestos so they didn't mark off on the work order that a blower door was contraindicated. After we fired it up we walked around the house to look for leaks and saw asbestos insulation literally being sucked off pipes in the finished basement. The company had to pay for asbestos abatement and to replace all of the basement furnishing and carpet and so forth. I'm assuming the home owner also got a large cash settlement. I only got a blast of asbestos laden air in my face for about five minutes because I was in front of the fan taking siding off the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote