View Single Post
Old 10-05-22, 12:14 PM   #27
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Update:
Last weekend I mounted the valve vertically (position #2 a few posts up), so that the weight of the flap holds back the flow when the pump is off. In fact, I even added a few washers to the flap to make it a bit heavier.

It appears that there is enough flow when the pump is on, even when it is at the lowest of 3 speeds. But unfortunately when the pump is off the there is still gravity-induced flow It might be less than without either the heat trap nor the flap valve, but the whole plumbing stays warm even 20 hours after the pump goes off.

I wonder how much is it that the hot water wants to escape upwards (which the heat trap by itself should already stop), and how much it is the cold, dense water from the house's radiators pushing into the bottom of the tank and forcing the warm water out of the top?

I dunno what else to try Adding another small washer or 2 to the valve's flap?

I do not want to go in the direction of electrovalves that open when the pump activates, as I want to keep this low-tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Mike View Post
Swing flapper valve must be operated with the valve disk vertical, eg whole valve body is horizontal, for low pressure pumps.
Mike, after some reading and thought I believe this would work if I was fighting reverse flow. In my case I have no reason to believe that the flow reverses.
In fact, it keeps flowing even when the pump stops, so I need to eliminate that without hindering flow when the pump is on.