View Single Post
Old 07-04-14, 02:15 PM   #29
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
...I am not opposed to adding extra modules to the controller. As long as the module is generic and widely available for cheap (like the CC3000 module), and will not interfere with the (basic) core operation of the controller, have at it....
...as for downsizing the module, an arduino pro mini or pro micro 5 Volt module would have the same compatibility as a uno R3, without the shield pinout configuration. Getting much cheaper or smaller, we lose the USB port.
I really like the idea of a basic unit with snap-together modules.

I mean if the basic unit can run my heat pump, and jeff5may's air conditioner conversion, that is just fine.

Then if you wanted enhanced functionality, you could snap on extra modules.

The Arduino expansion 'pin + socket = shield' configuration seems like a great way to go. It is already developed and has super-wide acceptance. It would also make it easy for other hackers to develop enhanced-functionality modules. I mean proto board that conform to the Arduino configuration are available from multiple sources right now... no need to create one.

I like it that some Serbian kid could go down to his local Radio Shack equivalent and get started, or some girl in Nigeria could buy some incredibly cheap clone from ebay, and get started, all by simply downloading our freely-available code.

But I think that having the ability to easily configure the GPC for different configurations is vital, even more important that Xbee or Wi-Fi or cell-phone connectivity (not that it is mutually exclusive).

I have a brain-dead ASHP in the basement, I need to make it work. I need a GPC...

I have a small, simple GSHP that can feed a simple hydronic floor, I need a GPC...

My ultimate system will be a hybrid system that could handle a GSHP and also integrate it into a system that included a ASHP. I need a GPC...

We have a build going on right now in The Netherlands, by stef110 that is intended to integrate a solar heating system with an ASHP. He needs a GPC...

ditto buffalobillpatrick, He needs a GPC...

Also going on right now is a guy in England, wsexton1 who wants to do a GSHP and employ two different compressors. He needs a GPC...

The air conditioner-to-domestic-water-heater hack has proven to be surprisingly popular. It would be more popular yet if there was a GPC...

I also have the suspicion that randen's 3-phase monster also needs a GPC...

This project may not be easy, but the moment is definitely upon us...

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 07-04-14 at 02:25 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote