View Single Post
Old 07-28-16, 10:19 AM   #267
randallkc
Lurking Renovator

About 10 years ago I was in Belize working on my drinking problem on a small island "Caye Caulker" and I saw this guy charging a AC system with a BBQ gas propane of bottle. I asked him... Your freon comes in propane bottles? He laughed and said it is propane. He said everyone uses it and has been using it for years. So I started digging around on the web and discovered that most of Asia and about all of central America use the stuff.

I have been using "BBQ" gas for about three years now. Playing with my own systems. I have been using it in R22 systems. I have yet to have a failure on any of these systems other than the usual "A coil leaks, caps, contactor and blower / fan motor problems". All the A coil leaks were there in the first place and thats why they ended up with R290. The stuff works great. You can retrofit R410 systems with the stuff. "change the metering system to a R22" It is oil compatible with anything! I do recommend adding driers because I don't know just how pure "Rhino Gas" is.

You can purchase the Propane BBQ gas bottle adapter for your gauge set on ebay for about $15.00

Not only is it Dirt cheep, Does not damage the environment and it actually has lower pressures and works better than R22. It is almost a drop in replacement. My TXV systems hardly require any adjustment. Most of the time I don't even need to adjust anything. Sub cooling is good!

As far as blowing up a house... Well some of the R22 replacements are HFC's anyway "probably mostly propane / butane etc" and will do the same thing. I have never seen a evaporator explode and dump all it's gas. A condenser maybe when the fan eats a hole.

I know there are lots of by the book players out there. I am not one of them. I like to play and learn. I have been playing with this stuff and I LOVE it! I sold off my extra R22 because I have no need for it! Keep in mind I don't work on other people's systems. Only my own. "I have dozens of them". In a short time we will probably see a acceptance of the stuff. The most efficient heat pumps over seas already use it!
randallkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to randallkc For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (07-30-16)