View Single Post
Old 03-23-12, 01:38 PM   #3
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

After the floor was done, the walls became the focus. I decided to put in a couple of niches, one for shower-bottles (shampoo, etc) and one over the sink where a medicine cabinet would normally be.

Tar-paper was chosen to be the water repeller behind the cement board, which was behind the tile. The strategy is that the tar-paper is applied and lapped so that as far as possible, it would be feasible to shower with only the tar-paper as a barrier. The anticipated paths of the water drops are taken into account, both to keep them from going where you don't want them to go, and most importantly, to give them an easy escape where you do want them to go.

This isn't the best of photos, but it does show the progress of the tar-paper and the hole where the plastic niche box goes.

The tar-paper is up on one wall, and the cement board is going in. NOTE: NO NAILS OR SCREWS BELOW THE CAPILLARY MARGIN!

I temporarily fit the Toto into place to check for fit and concept, etc. I did this kind of thing with the components of the job, several times during the construction of the mini-loo. No small part was to keep my spirits up and to keep in mind what the finished job would be like.

Concrete board has gone up on the toilet wall.

The Giberit flush tank and toilet hanger assembly are being buried behind tar-paper and concrete board. The rectangular protrusion through the cement board is where the dual-flush actuators will go. The system is designed so that the flush actuator panel can be removed and replacement parts can be easily installed through the actuator panel opening.

The whole system is completely different from anything I have ever encountered before, but it is very well thought out and works perfectly.

Ledger boards have been nailed to the wall (perfectly leveled and even), about 1 and 3/4 tile spaces above the edge of the floor.

The ledger boards are the 'datum line' upon which the tile setting begins. After the walls are set up, the ledger boards will be removed and the bottom rows will be finished.

I bought a cheap laser leveler tool. It was very helpful and worth the price, but patience and skill are still required.

The first two rows are going in. Small tile-spacers are used to keep spacings even.

This was the very first time that my son William Hackerson, or myself had ever attempted tile. The experience certainly increased my respect for skilled tile-setters. They really earn their pay. It also saved me several thousand dollars and made even possible to contemplate such an unusual custom project.

Considerable progress has been made on the corner.

My son & I has our share of tense moments but the project continued, and so did our understanding and respect for each other.

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 03-23-12 at 01:58 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote