View Single Post
Old 11-12-17, 10:17 PM   #5
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

It depends on the algorithm the coin uses and the scale of the operation. Bitcoin, the most famous cryptocurrency, is pretty high in energy use because there are so many large scale mining operations.

For the setup I mentioned here, the hardest part to get would be the ASIC. I was lucky to win one early in the year, but as nobody back then knew how to make it profitable enough to buy, the crowdfunding failed and the ASICs never made it to large scale production. Which is great news for the few who do have one, since if everyone had them, the difficulty would rise to the point where the profits are low again. Although I would say that if it did manage to make it to large scale production, it would be unlikely that really large miners be built since unlike Bitcoin ASICs, high N Scrypt ASICs need a good amount of RAM which adds significantly to the cost, some for the RAM itself but more significantly for the RAM wiring on the board. On top of that, the pre production Jameson Hasher used surplus DDR3 which is dirt cheap because everything new uses DDR4.

As for mining with smartphones, it was once very profitable but now the difficulty is high enough that even a $10 smartphone would take a long time to break even.

EDIT: Just for fun, I calculated the efficiency and performance of the Jameson Hasher and it is on the order of 60 times as efficient as a GTX 1080Ti and nearly twice as fast. That's pretty much what's expected of a cryptocurrency ASIC - insanely efficient and fast compared to GPUs for mining supported algorithms, but worthless for anything else.

Last edited by NiHaoMike; 11-13-17 at 01:30 AM..
NiHaoMike is offline   Reply With Quote