View Single Post
Old 09-15-14, 12:08 PM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Vacuum Panel Insulation

Zwerius, from the Neatherlands, is a new member of the EcoRenovator conversation.

He recently started a thread, that pointed to his site in Dutch about his successful efforts to dramatically reduce heat loss through the exterior door to his house.

His original Dutch post SHOULD_NOT_BE_MISSED and is made available in English.

The secret to Zwerius' success is his use of a radical, newly-available insulation called Vacuum Panel Insulation (AKA: "VIP").

I calculated the R-value of the material he was using in Imperial units, and it is R-21.3/inch in US terms.

That makes this stuff a real game changer, which could find use in exterior doors, as Zwerius has done, also for ultra-efficient refrigerators, etc.

I found some US sources of information at TOOLBASE, which gives a very good breakdown of the technology, it's virtues and weak points, primarily vulnerability to puncture.

I also found THIS_SITE, which is a US company that sells VIP panels.

I called the above firm just now and they are forwarding information to me and I will make it available to this thread.

HERE_IS a European article from 2009 that goes into good detail, too.

I did a brief preliminary search for DIY efforts regarding VIP making, and didn't locate anything in the short time I searched... but it sure would be a tremendous boon to be able to do it.

More Info:
  1. HERE
  2. HERE
  3. HERE
  4. HERE
  5. HERE
  6. HERE
  7. HERE
Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 09-15-14 at 12:51 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-16-14), dremd (02-03-17), Zwerius (09-16-14)