View Single Post
Old 06-16-15, 08:01 PM   #22
Xzeption
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Now I need some experienced advice.

I ran the dehumidifier dryer for 60 minutes with a load of diaper liners. The liners had a mass of 1326 grams at the start and 978 grams at the end. This gives a total of 348 grams of water removed, or ~58% of the way to completely dry. Overall not too bad for a proof of concept prototype.

However, I measured the mass of water in the collection bin to be only 40 grams. This is perplexing me as it is no where near the 348 grams of water that was removed from the cloth. I can think of a few plausible explanations.

1) Moisture laden air is escaping the box. The solution would be to air seal it.

2) The dehumidifier is condensing more water from the air, but it is re-evaporating from the collection area. I have no idea how feasible this is. Hopefully another forum member can explain if this is possible or not.

3) Perhaps the temperature of the air in the box (over 100 degrees F) is above the design temperature of the dehumidifier and the evaporator coil is not getting below the dew point. I doubt this is the case but I am trying to think of all possible explanations.

Am I missing anything?

I wish my country would switch to the metric system. My apologies to international readers who see me jump between metric and imperial units.
Xzeption is offline   Reply With Quote