View Single Post
Old 11-08-11, 01:51 PM   #68
stefanc
Helper EcoRenovator

You're right, but I need 4-5 indoor units so I'm somewhat limited to the cheaper multi splits. Im looking at doing a 3 zone unit on one side of the house and a 2 zone on the other side. With linesets they should be around $5k from acwholesalers. Wiring and mounting 5 individual outdoor units probably wont be cost effective. I haven't looked into too many other brands since I had the grunaire 4 zone from them in my last house and was really happy with both the units and the warranty service.

Im definitely open to suggestions for multi-splits at an affordable price.

For low temp heating I still have the resistance heat until I get a woodstove. Then the woodstove, then the stove will be working full time during the really cold months.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
stefanc,

You are aiming too low! There are very reasonably-priced mini splits with much better COP.

The Fujitsu 'RLS' line (Fujitsu 9RLS (12,000 BTU heating), Fujitsu 12RLS (16,000 BTU heating), Fujitsu 15RLS (18,000 BTU heating) ) models have COP of 3.2 or better. For some reason, the efficiency does not seem to scale very well, so the bigger models will not have the same high efficiency. Better to use several small ones.

BTW, I have no financial interests in this product, but I am impressed.

NOTE: Since mini splits get their heat from the air, there is a limit to how cold the weather can get before they start to bog down. You need to inform yourself about this matter.

I live in Portland, Oregon, and the weather patterns and mini splits are a great match.

-AC_Hacker
stefanc is offline   Reply With Quote