View Single Post
Old 09-01-13, 05:55 AM   #1542
stevehull
Steve Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post

The turbulent zone of fluid flow is really interesting. Fluid in a laminar flow mode doesn't exchange heat as readily as turbulent flow. And it takes more energy to drive fluid into the turbulent flow mode. In a conversation I had with a fluid engineer, he told me that the fluid friction losses from turbulent flow were lower than for laminar flow. Hard for me to believe. I also came across some fluid flow formulas that encapsulated the idea that the power required to pump fluid through pipe varies proportionally with the square of velocity.

Curious stuff, fluid dynamics...

-AC

Curious stuff indeed as turbulence is said to be one of the most profound complexities yet to be understood by classical physics.

Laminar flow shows a far less robust heat exchange compared with turbulent flow. But the energy required for turbulent flow is FAR higher. One of the most obvious hints to this is that turbulent flow causes micro eddies with the result being sound and frictional heat.

Bottom line; sizing a pump for high flow turbulent flow requires a larger size (power) compared to an identical flow situation under laminar flow conditions.

This has direct implications for sizing a pump where turbulence is intentionally created to maximize heat flow transfer.

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 09-01-13 at 05:58 AM..
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote