View Single Post
Old 09-17-20, 01:39 AM   #4
SDMCF
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by osolemio View Post
I know about the manifolds being vertical.
I assume you mean horizontal - or actually a little off horizontal to facilitate drainback. If the manifolds were vertical the tubes would be horizontal and I don't think they would work in that orientation.

Quote:
The issue is if they have a kink in the middle, and leave water standing there.
You should be able to look through the manifold end-to-end before you install it. I would be very surprised if there were a kink in the pipe, and even more surprised if the kink were big enough to cause a problem. I would return a manifold with such a kink.
Even if there were a minor kink I don't think it would be a problem if you have enough fall on the system. I have heard 1" of fall for every 4 ft of run as being good but don't know fist hand if that is correct. Anyway, I believe freezing any water left standing in the system could only cause a problem if, when frozen, it could be over half way up the pipe at the deepest point. Without that I don't see how freezing could split the pipe, which is surely the real concern?

Quote:
Of it there is any other lock in the system. I could use a compressor to force all air out, but then it gets a bit too complicated
I think you are over-complicating things and in reality there isn't an issue here.

Quote:
About your tubes in overcast weather: THAT is EXACTLY what the main purpose of my system is. I am building a solar panel system which will be optimized for low and diffuse light, even during cold weather.
Cold weather is not an issue. You can ignore ambient temperature.

Overcast / low / diffuse light conditions are an issue. You say you are designing around that. Great, I hope you succeed and I will be interested to see your results. Personally I do not know how to do that. In November & December when there is typically heavy cloud cover here my system produces about 2% of the output it does in February & March, even though the temperatures can be 20C or 30C or more higher in November & December.

Quote:
But the point is to get something, rather than nothing - when it is needed the most.
I agree with that. I guess a lot depends on your local conditions. I need the heat the most when the weather is at its coldest, and around here that does not coincide with when the light is worst. Hence I can get heat when I need it most. I would certainly like to get heat when the skies are overcast but I accept that it has not been possible. If you can show how that can be done I am all ears. Good luck!
SDMCF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SDMCF For This Useful Post:
osolemio (09-18-20)