View Single Post
Old 11-20-14, 04:43 PM   #295
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
Arduino Mega or Arduino Due. IMHO, the 3.3v Vref of the Due is a big strike against it.
Nope, not for this project. This one gets a Uno.

Maybe somebody might start a project based on a Mega, but why? It shares the same instruction set and cpu as the Uno. If you can rig up a Uno and get it working, you can rig up a Mega. If you have that many sensors and output pins to deal with, to need a Mega, the system is no longer a general-purpose-friendly setup. It does have more onboard flash and ram, though.

If I really needed more memory, I would add a shield that I could stick an SD card into. With the shield, I would probably add some sort of wireless comms also. Cheap thrills.

If I really really wanted more processing power, I might hold out for the Zero. A whopping 256k of flash and 32k of ram. ARM Cortex processor @32 bits and 48 MHz. Oooh la la! But alas, it runs at 3.3VDC. Shucks.

I can always give up my prefab LCD keypad shield for another display if I really need the extra pins. Given the fact that there are all kinds of sensors, displays, and control devices that will work over serial comms or the 1wire or 2wire interface standards, I doubt this basic controller would need a whole lot else to do its "basic" job..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (11-21-14)