View Single Post
Old 10-23-12, 07:00 AM   #7
osolemio
Hong Kong

It really needs to be tested, how much dehumidification you get vs the energy used. And these units need to be removed from the environment, while plugged in, otherwise you will just cycle the moisture between the air, and the silica material.

One other issue, which needs to be researched about regarding silica, is how it affects the air, with regard to corrosion. The typical dehumidification "salts" you can buy in a supermarket, are not suitable in environments with "unshielded" electronic devices. The air from these silica has a salty kind of content, which over time promotes corrosion. I am thinking of the mention of ham equipment - I would seriously be worried about using chemicals to dehumidify the air, if they just corrode in other ways.

For aircraft and R/V's parked over a longer time, those silica to provide a passive dehumidification are seem to work well but, although a tempting solution ... be aware that they kill the electronics over the years, just like cars in coastal areas corrode faster ... so I have been warned previously about using these "moisture absorbing salts".

This is why any dehumidification based on silica/desiccants need to be properly researched for these side effects.