View Single Post
Old 03-18-14, 07:20 PM   #8
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I found the TRAINING manual for the geospring units. Another quirk of Philips and Thomson, this manual is easy to understand and tells you secrets about the models (unlike the service manuals, which omit various important secrets). It speaks of the EEV and how to test it around page 85. Around page 105, it tells of the "secret" service menu and its use.

https://gestore.custhelp.com/ci/fatt...ngtraining.pdf

I learned of these training manuals during my stint as an electronic service tech in the 90's. Most every digital electronic device made has a "secret" service mode where you can actually enable optional features on some models. You look up a model number (in the training manual) that is compatible with the chassis under your control, navigate to the proper place, twiddle some buttons, and presto! Your $ 50 tv set now works in stereo, has V-chip, spanish, and picture-in-picture. While you're there, you can balance the grayscale, so everyone doesn't look purple in the shadows.

A few things to know about the geospring units in general:

They have a 10 year parts warranty (if you have a receipt).

The first generation of units has been known to leak refrigerant (aluminum condenser, copper evaporator, and crimp connectors in between).

Refrigerant leak throws code fc or ff and unit runs electric elements to heat water. If GE service is notified, this will generate a free service call under warranty.

Code ff is derived from temperature sensor measurements.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
Cleanriver (10-19-14), Daox (03-19-14), kboll (08-14-14), Mikesolar (03-22-14), nokiasixteth (03-18-14)