View Single Post
Old 12-27-15, 12:13 PM   #4
oil pan 4
Land owner

That is one of those cheap pieces of Chinese crap I was warned not to buy over on the Arizona wind-sun forum.

After buying cheap Chinese grid tie inverters that didn't work I learned my lesson. I had to heavily modify those grid ties to get them to where they would not constantly over heat.

My Morningstar prostar 30amp PWM controller cost around $200 and holds a 26 amps charging load no problem. I have not tested it to 30 or over 30 amps but I am sure it will work.
I abuse my prostar, I use it as a battery charge controller drawing power from that home made 240 volt battery charger I built, (see home made solar hybrid inverter) which Morningstar specifically warns against doing. I didn't read the directions until after I built my high power charger.

The guys over on wind sun forum warn that those controller will short out, fry your batteries or quit working all together and that they should only be ran at a fraction of what they are rated for.

I use the Morningstar 15 amp sunsaver trakstar (the MPPT) their 30 amp prostar (pwm) and the genasun MPPT.
I love them, the high end MPPT controllers have exceeded all my expectations and that rarely happens.

With solar power stuff, all I can say is you get what you pay for.

If you are thinking about doing wind power, just don't. Save the money, buy solar panels.

Also check out our wiki:
http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Solar_12v_assist

Last edited by oil pan 4; 12-27-15 at 03:24 PM..
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote