View Single Post
Old 01-13-14, 05:11 AM   #26
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Yes min is 13,000 max is 199000.
I have mine mounted in my garage on the inside wall. The air intake is in my attic. That keeps the wind from coming in the intake. The exhaust is about 25’ away.

My old tankless was a little smaller but Energy Factor of 0.80 my gas bill was $12.36 - $18.44 (this was summer bills when we did not use gas heat) this is with a $7.50 meter charge included. Not bad at all I was pleased with this. This is for a family of 4.

The new tankless does not have a pilot and has Energy Factor of 0.95 but we are doing intelligent water circulation pump. I will report back in the summer what the new gas bill is.

My neighbor has a Navien npe-240a that has Buffer Tank & Recirculation Pump included. Nice unit he likes it. My other neighbor that is a plumber puts lots of these in but if you buy them on the internet they will not honor their warranty.(no deal for me)

I looked up the Vertex hot water heater it looks very sweet. Wow it is expensive. I could have easily going for this tank if the cost was similar to my tankless heater it would be a great choice.
Maybe I misread the post. I thought he was talking about the rated input of the unit. The min of 15mbtu is correct.

The Navien I am putting in is a 180 and will be with the buffer tank (you can get it with or without). The buffer tank is supposed to eliminate the sandwiching which it does but the evidence shows that the actual efficiency of the unit goes down somewhat from the non buffer tank model but everything is a tradeoff, I guess.

I don't know of any tankless that has a pilot these days and the old Bosch one was used for off grid solar because it did not need any power to light it up. I have put them in as well in the past.

The reason I mention the Vertex is because many tankless heaters don't last 10 years and we would expect any heater to do that. Much of the time it is because the circuits are going on/off a lot more than a tank control would. It also means that there is a lot of wasted gas for those who don't change their habits to meet the heaters abilities. Time will tell.

Last edited by Mikesolar; 01-13-14 at 05:15 AM..
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote