View Single Post
Old 01-12-14, 07:49 PM   #24
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

ECO, it is 150,000btu, not 15,000. Most tankless water heaters are a minimum of 150Mbtu. I put in Navien regularly but have put in Takagi and Rinnai (same as Bradford White).

The cold snap last week has killed more than a few tankless heaters and I have been busy putting in new ones. I will never put the venting as close to the unit as was typically done and will ALWAYS put in fresh air thermal blocking so that the cold air cannot come in unless the unit is firing. On one I am putting in tomorrow (to replace a Takagi) the venting will be 12 feet long and the unit will not be on the outside wall.

On top of this, unless they insist, I will put in a Vertex or another high efficiency tank instead of a tankless. Most people will use the tankless the same what they used to use a tank, on and off, small amounts of water and the unit needs to go through a prepurge and sense the need for flow, light up, etc, then shut down again, sometimes without getting 1L of water to the tap. It is a waste. If I can use a Vertex or Polaris, assuming the heat load is right, I can eliminate a furnace or boiler.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote